I’ve been frying and scrambling eggs all my life, but have recently been obsessed with poaching and soft boiling. Is it crazy that I never knew soft boiling was a thing? I’m still working on mastering that skill—actually, that sentence would be more accurate if you replaced “working on” with “nowhere near.” Seriously, how do you peel the shells off those things without burning the H-E-L-L out of your fingertips? I have dropped many an f-bomb trying to figure that out, so if you have any tips, lay ’em on me.
Poaching eggs, on the other hand, has come easier, and I wanted to make a simple meal that paired them with a spring veggie. Enter: asparagus, which is at it’s best in April.
I know this meal looks light, but I assure you, it’s quite filling!
Easy Springy Poached Eggs and Asparagus
Easy Meal, No Leftovers | Vegetarian, Gluten-Free
Prep time: 30 min | Cook and serve time: 15 min
- In a small saucepan on high heat, bring stock to a boil.
- Add spelt berries and reduce heat to low. Cook covered until all the liquid is absorbed, 25 to 30 minutes. (Cooked spelt will be firmer than rice, but still soft, and a little chewy.)
- Snap the ends off the asparagus.
Cook and serve:
- Slice garlic.
- In a medium saucepan on medium heat, pour in oil.
- Add garlic and cook until it starts to brown, about 3 minutes.
- Add in asparagus, turning every minute or so to cook evenly. Cook until slightly softened, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Poach eggs. Here’s a helpful video for how to poach eggs if you’ve never done it.
- To serve, spoon heated spelt onto a plate, then place asparagus and eggs on top. Season with salt and pepper.