This is a great light, yet filling—and seriously flavorful—meal. I got ambitious and tried my hand at wrapping a couple with rice paper, spring-roll-style. This photo represents my second attempt—not bad, right? It was much easier than I thought, and I’ll definitely be doing more spring rolls throughout the spring and summer.
Vietnamese Noodle Lettuce Wraps
Two Servings | Vegan (w/options), Gluten-Free
Prep time: 25 min | Cook and serve time: 15 min
2 chicken breasts (vegan option: 1/2 cup cashews)
4 cloves garlic
1 cup chopped cilantro
1/2 jalapeno pepper, minced
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
3 tablespoons vegetarian fish sauce
4 ounces thin dried rice noodles
2 carrots, julienned
1 cucumber, chopped
1/3 cup chopped fresh mint
6 leaves napa cabbage
1/4 cup unsalted peanuts
Optional: 1 package of spring roll skins
- FOR CHICKEN: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a small baking dish, bake chicken breasts until no longer pink inside, 20 to 25 minutes. Refrigerate to cool, then cube.
- Mince the garlic and jalapeno.
- In a small bowl, stir together lime juice, fish sauce, salt, and brown sugar.
- Prepare carrots, cucumber, and mint.
Cook and Serve:
- Combine minced garlic and jalapeno with the lime juice sauce. Chop cilantro and stir into sauce as well.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the rice noodles and remove from heat. Let noodles sit for 2 minutes, drain, and then rinse noodles with cold water until cooled. Drain again.
- In a large bowl, combine the sauce, noodles, carrots, cucumber, and mint. Toss well.
- Lay 3 Napa cabbage leaves on a plate, and then divide 1/2 of noodle mixture between the 3 leaves.
- Add 1/2 of the chicken or cashews.
- Garnish with 1/2 of the peanuts.
- Optional: wrap everything in a spring roll skin.