Breakfasts, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Vegetarian
Comments 30

Potato-Crusted Mini Quiches

IMG_1919I love quiche, and of course, you can do it crustless for a gluten-free option, but having a crust just makes it look prettier. I really like prettier. And having already successfully used potato slices for ravioli, I wanted to see if it would work as a quiche crust, too. Guess what?—It did!

It tastes great, and looks almost like flower petals around the egg mixture. For this post, I made a spinach quiche and sprinkled it with fried slices of shallots, but use this recipe as a base for whatever type of quiche you want to make.

This is one of those recipes that looks really amazing, but is SO simple to prepare—my favorite kind of recipe. Having friends over for brunch? Make these quiches and a plate of Fancy Pants Grapefruit and you’ll be set. (Don’t forget the pot of coffee!)

Have a great weekend, everyone!
M

Potato-Crusted Quiche
Prep time: 10 min | Cook and serve time: 25-30 min
Serves two

Ingredients:
1 medium potato
4 eggs, beaten
Salt and pepper, to taste
+ ingredients for your favorite quiche

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
  2. Use the thinnest setting on a mandolin to create potato slices.
  3. Coat two small ramekins (mine were 4-1/2 inches) with cooking spray.
  4. Line ramekins with potato slices, starting with the sides. Arrange so that part of each slice sticks above the rims a little, but also folds onto the bottom.
  5. Fill in the bottoms with a few potato slices.
  6. Bake potato crusts in preheated oven on the middle rack for 15 minutes.
  7. Prepare quiche ingredients.
  8. Remove potato crusts from oven, and reduce temperature to 350 degrees F.
  9. Pour half of quiche mixture into each potato crust.
  10. Bake in reduced temperature oven until quiches are cooked through, 20 to 25 minutes. (Test by making a small slice in the middle with a knife.)
  11. Use a fork to lift each quiche out of the ramekins onto plates.
  12. Season with salt and pepper and serve.

Potato-Crusted Quiche Potato-Crusted Quiche

More gluten-free favorites…
Apple-Cinnamon Pancakes                                  Mini Apple Crumble Pies
Apple Pancakes Happy Mini Apple Pies

Chive Cocktail Potato Crisps                                  Pumpkin Pie Muffins
Chive Cocktail Potato Crisps
 Pumpkin Pie Muffin

Pea Pesto Potato Ravioli                                          Grain-Free Biscuits
Pea Pesto Potato Ravioli Grain-Free Biscuits

Advertisements

30 Comments

1. Laurel says

Would love to make individual ramekins of this “fancy pants” quiche for our Christmas houseguests, but would like to find a way to do some of it ahead of time. Would it work to cook the potato crusts the day before?

• Hmm…yeah, I bet that would work! After you pre bake the crusts, I might fill them with the quiche filling and then cover and refrigerate…just to prevent the potatoes from getting brown. I keep wondering too if it’s really that necessary to pre bake the potatoes at all. I’ll try that sometime before Christmas and reply to this comment to let you know how it went!

2. CJ Nolan says

Thanks for the recipe! The quiche in the picture looks scrumptious: egg/spinach/bacon? Could you share the recipe for that, too – or your favourite quiche?

PS: I found your recipe by following a link on a page where I originally went looking for recipes using mascarpone; the title under the potato/mini-quiche picture was “5 Fancy Dishes That Take Surprisingly Little Effort” (Allrecipes.com). They looked so wonderful I just couldn’t help clicking through… and am so glad I did. 🙂

Liked by 1 person

• Hi CJ! Thanks so much for the note–I’m so glad you clicked through, too!

As far as the quiche recipe goes, it’s super easy…in addition to what’s listed, I used about a cup of loosely-packed spinach and stirred it in with the eggs (it helps if you massage it a little to reduce the volume). Then, before I put the quiches in the oven, I sliced two shallots and sauteed them in a teaspoon of oil in a skillet on medium heat, then sprinkled them on top of the egg/spinach mixture. That’s it! Enjoy!

3. CHANDLER says

I WOULD LIKE TO MAKE THIS AS ONE LARGE QUICHE, EITHER IN A QUICHE DISH, 8″? OR A CAST IRON SKILLET. HOW WOULD I INCREASE THE INGREDIENTS AND COOKING TIME. THANKS. LOVELY IDEA. CHANDLER.

Liked by 1 person

• Hi Chandler! I’ve never actually done it, but here are my recommendations: Slice 1 or 2 *large* potatoes rather than a smaller one, maybe do a double layer of them in the pan so they don’t curl up too much, then prepare your quiche filling as the recipe directs. I would keep the bake time and temp for just the potatoes the same, but increase the bake time for the egg filling to 40 to 45 minutes. Hope this helps, good luck!

• Jovanna says

Hi Chandler, I’ve made this recepie in my large cast iron pan and it always comes out perfectly. I use 6 large potatoes and a dozen eggs, plus my favorite veggies, etc. I brush my pan with basil infused Olive oil before altering my potatoes. I hope this helps

Liked by 1 person

4. Pingback: Crustless Quiche Gets a Delicious Upgrade | Friends all over

5. Pingback: Acorn Squash Quiches | Pine and Crave

6. Maine-ly Dawgs Cafe says

I am making this for dinner as I type this! Thank you for the idea of using potatoes in place of crust!!!

7. face book. thanks for replying. some people don’t reply. i posted a lot of recipes on group recipes site. if you facebook me I will send you a link to my page. I make a killer quiche, not gluten free, just sinful 🙂 JJ actually it was a FB post by Majestic Moon ranch-Sabrina has a wonderful ranch in Colorado with all the animals 150+ chickens, one named Boogie and is an amazing person.

• In addition to what’s listed, I used about a cup of loosely-packed spinach and stirred it in with the eggs (it helps if you massage it a little to reduce the volume). Then, before I put the quiches in the oven, I sliced two shallots and sauteed them in a teaspoon of oil, in a skillet on medium heat.

Just out of curiosity, I’m getting lots of traffic to this particular recipe–how did you happen come across it?

• Susan says

This was posted on the Gluten Free 24/7 FB page, and it’s been liked over 400 times, and shared by a couple of my friends who are also interested in gluten free recipes. I like how pretty this looks, and, let’s face it, using tasty potatoes is probably better than a gluten-free crust. Yay social media! Happy to find your blog.

Liked by 1 person

• Hi Susan!

Ah, yes, I did a little sleuthing and traced it back from the share that JJ mentioned and it led me to GF 24/7–hopefully they’ll post more of my recipes! Thanks so much for all the recipe compliments, and thanks for saying, Hi! Hope you find lots more GF recipes you want to make on my blog…always more to come. 🙂

• Hi, me again. You beat 4 eggs and mix in a cup of spinach. That would be fresh spinach opposed to frozen thawed spinach and well drained?
        A red potato and Large eggs?

Funny you mention Sabrina, she and I do FB! She is quite a person and recently Boogie died unexpectedly. JJ

PS. Is there a way to send you a recipe I believe you will like?

• I think either fresh or frozen would work just great! I used red potatoes, but any potato would work, and I don’t get too picky about the size of the eggs…any size should do.

You’re welcome to post the link to the recipe you think I’d like in the comments here, or reach me at pineandcrave@gmail.com

Good luck with the quiche!

8. Seema says

My family has needed a new egg dish, so this is right on time! And I love another way to introduce a breakfast staple (potatoes) in a new way! Mackenzie, Have you tried this recipe with any other potato than red potatoes? I wonder whether or not this would work as well with sweet potatoes. Thank you for such a perfect idea!

• You know, I’ve only tried with red potatoes…it could work with sweet potatoes, but they seem to be a little softer than regualr potatoes, so I’m wondering if they’d slump a little in the step where you’re just baking the “crust” first. But, if they do hold up, once you put the eggs in there, you’d be home free. Let me know if you do try it–I’d be curious to know if how it goes!

So glad you loved the idea–I actually had one for breafast this morning and it was as tasty as ever:).

Liked by 1 person

• Seema says

Mackenzie, The sweet potatoes worked wonderfully! I just left them in to get a bit crispy and it was delicious! Thank you again for such a splendid idea !!

Liked by 1 person