It’s been a busy couple of weeks with lots of cooking and food photography for a client, and then last night at about 8:30PM I decided to completely rearrange my apartment. Like, completely. You know how sometimes you just need a change?? Well, I had a major hit of that last night, and now everything is different and I love it!
All that to say, it was an occassion for fancy Friday morning pancakes…and I’ve had five heirloom apples on my kitchen counter for a week, trying to decide what to do with them. Aren’t they pretty?
This recipe is very similar to my Apple Cinnamon French Toast Pancakes, I just skipped the French toast treatment. They’re fluffy, creamy, cinnamon-y, and delicious-y.
Have a great weekend!
Grain-Free Apple Cinnamon Pancakes
Single Servings, Breakfast | Grain-Free, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free
Prep time: 15 min | Cook and serve time: 15 min | Ready in: 1 hour, 5 min
1/3 cup tapioca flour
1 not-very-ripe banana
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon oil
1/4 cup cashew cream
1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon, divided
1 tablespoon non-dairy butter
Maple syrup to taste
- Make cashew cream. (NOTE: If you have a really powerful blender—e.g. a Vitamix—you can skip soaking the cashews as directed in the recipe, and shave a good 30 minutes off the “ready in” time.)
- In a blender, process the banana, tapioca flour, eggs, oil, salt, 1/2 of a teaspoon of cinnamon, and vanilla for a few seconds until smooth. Pour into a bowl.
- Core the apple (you can also peel it if you like), and cut into slices.
- Stir together another 1/2 of a teaspoon of cinnamon with the cashew cream.
Cook and serve:
- Melt butter in a medium skillet on medium heat, then add apples. Cook until apples are softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, and set aside.
- In a large skillet on medium-high heat, pour pancake batter 2 tablespoons at a time. Cook until browned, 1 to 2 minutes on each side.
- Stack pancakes, layering in the cashew cream and apples.
- Drizzle maple syrup over the top and serve.