I have to say, I like these so much better than I thought I would. A lot of times I find bars with a date base to be too sweet, so I was skeptical that I’d be able to get enough nuts in a recipe to balance everything out.
I used both almonds and coconut in these, and they turned out great. Plus, because they’re so packed with protein, you feel totally satisfied after just one square. At least I did, and I have a total sweet tooth.
These are the perfect treat to curb a sugar craving, while also putting something substantial in your stomach, curbing hunger pangs—two birds with one stone stuff going on here. 😉
Gluten-Free Coconut Chocolate Freezer Bars
Prep time: 10 min | Freeze time: 4 hours | Ready in: 6 hours, 10 min
Yields: 12 to 16 1-1/2-inch bars
1-1/2 cups raw almonds
1 cup coconut flakes (or shredded)
1 cup coconut milk
1/2 cup prunes
1/2 cup dates, pitted
1/2 cup raisins or currants
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup chocolate chips (dairy free for vegan bars)
- Put all ingredients EXCEPT chocolate chips in a food processor and process until it creates a dough that easily sticks together.
- Line a rectangle or square baking dish or Tupperware container with parchment paper so that the edges stick up above the rim—you’ll use the edges to pull out the block when frozen. (I used a glass dish that was about 8″x6″—anything close to these dimensions will work great.)
- Press dough into container.
- Melt chocolate in the microwave or on the stove top using a double boiler. I just use a make-shift double boiler: fill a medium saucepan with 2 inches of water and bring to a boil. Reduce to low heat, then set a ceramic bowl inside—pour chocolate chips inside the bowl.
- Pour melted chocolate over the top of dough, using the back of a spoon to spread chocolate around so it covers the entire surface.
- Place in the freezer for 4 hours.
- Use the edges of parchment paper to remove the frozen dough from the dish, then peel away.
- Use a serrated knife to cut block into 1 to 2-inch squares.
- Store in the freezer or refrigerator.